Will A Dented Copper Pipe Leak?
In 2019, the top 3 types of plumbing pipes used are PVC, CPVC, and Copper.
So, needless to say there are thousands of homes in the Atlanta, Ga. area that are plumbed with copper pipes, which are very rigid and can be dented.
So, will a dented copper pipe leak? - Yes, it can. Of course it depends on the depth and severity of the dent but the bottom line is that a rigid pipe can leak due to a dent or a cut.
How To Fix A Dent In A Copper Pipe
There are two things that you can try to correct a dent in a metal pipe.
- Use a blowtorch to remove the dent
- Replace the pipe entirely
Both of these can be very daunting tasks for the majority of homeowners so we recommend that you hire a professional plumber to do the job.
But if you are so inclined to repair the pipe yourself, here are the steps on how to do it.
Using A Blowtorch To Remove The Dent
- Safety first - wear goggles and heavy duty gloves that can withstand the heat from the blowtorch.
- Wear goggles - very important.
- Turn the blowtorch on and aim it towards the dented area. While that is happening - push and pull on the pipe to smooth out (and remove) the dent in the pipe.
- Once you feel you've smoothed out the dented area as much as possible - let the pipe cool. When it's cool to the touch (about 10 minutes or so) - move on to the next step.
- Now that it's cooled off - use a rotary wire wheel over the dented area to make the pipe smooth again.
Replacing The Copper Pipe
Cutting out the portion of the copper pipe that is dented and replacing it with another piece of copper pipe or pvc pipe is another solution to fixing a dented copper pipe.
Of course, this solution will also work for any type of damage that you may find on your copper pipes.
These solutions require specific equipment, soldering and some plumbing knowledge as to the type of clamps and fasteners needed to avoid leaks and other possible problems.
We recommend that you contact a professional plumber to help you with fixing any issues you may have with dented copper pipes.
Call Atlantis Plumbing today at 770-443-8229.