Who To Call For Water Leak In The Yard?
Most homeowners know that when water leaks from the inside of their home, they can turn to a plumber for help. But what do you do if it's coming up from your yard? Who should you call then? The answer is not always clear. There are a few things to think about before calling someone out to investigate your leaky yard issue.
To start with, does the water have an odor or color other than blue or brown? If so, call the city immediately and report it as a possible sewage leak. If there is no foul smell or discoloration but the ground around where the water comes up has become saturated, this may be due to natural seepage in some areas of town which typically happens during rainstorms and high water tables.
There are two potential services to call when you notice a water leak in your yard.
- A plumber
- Your local water utility company
So, how do you know which one to call? Here are some tips:
- If you notice that your water bill has spiked then the most common reason for this is normally something that has gone wrong on your side of the water meter so for this case, you would call a plumber.
- If you turn off the main water source to your house and then check your meter and find that it's still running, then again, the problem is most likely on your side so again, call a plumber.
- But if you turn off the main water source and then check your water meter to find that it's NOT running, then the culprit is more than likely coming from somewhere along the city lines so in this case, call your water utility company.
How Much Does It Cost To Fix An Outside Water Leak?
As with any plumbing project, the cost depends entirely on...
- The type of corrections that are needed to fix the problem. For example, does a pipe need to be fixed? Does it need to be replaced?
- The amount of time required to find the problem and fix the problem.
- The type and amount of material required to fix the problem.
Speaking with a professional plumber and getting a direct quote is the best way to find out what the cost of your particular project would be.
If you have any questions about outdoor water leaks or are having some problems with it, call Atlantis Plumbing today at 770-443-8229. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.