How To Prevent Hard Water Stains In A Toilet
There are 2 ways to prevent hard water stains in a toilet (or anywhere else).
- Stick to a schedule of cleaning your toilet bowl and tank. Simply pour 3 cups of white vinegar into your toilet tank then 30 minutes later flush your toilet.
- Purchase a water softener system for your home. But of course, this is costly. They can range from $400.00 to $3000.00 so take some time to decide what you can afford and which type will work for you.
Why Does My Water Stain My Toilet?
Those reddish brown rust stains that you may see in your toilet bowl are caused by iron mineral in your water supply. When air combines with iron it causes them to oxidize and the result is the rust color stains that you see.
In addition, if your home is outfitted with iron pipes (which may have been installed many years ago) then as they have aged they are beginning to corrode. As a result, what you are seeing as "stains" are just part of the corrosive process that is happening with your pipes.
How Do You Get Rust And Hard Water Stains Out Of A Toilet?
There are many different ways to rid your toilet bowl of rust stains. Some include using commercial products, others using more natural products. Try several of our recommendations below to find the one that works for you.
The Vinegar and Baking Soda Solution:
- Add 2 cups of white vinegar to your toilet bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup of baking soda to your toilet bowl.
- Swish this mixture around the bowl (using your toilet brush) for a minute or two.
- Let it stand for about 15 minutes.
- Then scrub the stains. If this doesn't work as well as you would like, spray lemon juice onto the stains - it may dissolve anything that's left.
The Commercial Product Solution
- Bar Keepers Friend is a great product (comes in both powder and liquid).
- Wear gloves and goggles when using this product - it does have ingredients that can cause skin and eye irritation.
The bottom line is that if you stick to a cleaning schedule you can avoid those nasty looking rust stains in your toilet bowl!
If you have any questions about your toilet or are having some problems with it, call Atlantis Plumbing today at 770-443-8229. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.