Can An Outside Faucet Be Repaired?
Of course, most anything, including outside faucets, can be repaired and if not then replaced. The issue is how much will it cost and is it worth it to repair it or would it be more cost effective to replace it?
How Do You Fix An Outside Faucet?
The most common problems that we've encountered with outside faucets is the problem of leaking. So, we're going to go over how to fix a leaky outdoor faucet.
If the leak is coming from the wheel handle you use to turn on the faucet.
1) Use a wrench to tighten the nut below the wheel handle.
2) This should tighten the "bonnet packet" area directly under the nut.
3) If this does not stop the leak then it's recommended that you replace the parts of the bonnet packet.
4) All parts can be purchased at a hardware store.
5) You can also add teflon tape to help make the seal tighter (if you are replacing the parts)
If the faucet is leaking even when the water is turned off.
1) The most common reason for this is that the washer at the base of the wheel handle's stem is worn out.
2) To replace this washer - simply remove the wheel handle and replace the washer.
3) Another reason your faucet may continue leaking is a stripped spigot. Information on how to fix that below)
If the faucet is leaking from the hose connector.
1) The most common solution here is to replace the washer in the hose connector
2) Sometimes, also adding teflon tape to the inside of the hose connector will improve the seal as well
Details and more information on fixing a leaky outside faucet in this video.
How Do You Fix A Stripped Outdoor Spigot?
So, your outdoor faucet is leaking even though the water is turned off? One cause of this could be that the spigot is stripped.
So, how do you go about fixing that?
Your outdoor faucet is connected to a pipe (usually in the wall) so know that you will be detaching that faucet from the pipe.
1) You will need a new spigot and some teflon tape
2) Make sure the water is turned off to that faucet.
3) After you've turned off the water - turn the wheel handle to make sure that any water that is left in the pipe drains out.
4) Now you can use a wrench to unscrew the faucet off the main water line pipe.
5) Wrap teflon tape around the male fitting of the new spigot (this is the end of the spigot that you will be inserting back into the pipe).
6) Initially tighten the spigot onto the main water line pipe by hand and then use a wrench to completely tighten it.
7) Turn the water back on
These steps should fix the problems that come from a stripped spigot.
How Much Does It Cost To Fix An Outside Faucet?
According to homeadvisor.com - the average cost to fix or replace an outdoor faucet is between $100 and $500.
Costs of course depend on the type of problem(s) that need to be fixed, replacement parts and the amount of time it takes to fix the issue.
If you have any questions about outdoor plumbing problems problems, call Atlantis Plumbing today at 770-443-8229. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.